With panoramic views and award-winning design, this unique home, more commonly known as Blue House, sits high on Fadden Hills and is a rare opportunity for those looking for something special.
Featured in multiple publications including ï¿½100 Canberra Houses: a century of capital architectureï¿½ Blue House is described as ï¿½an example of late twentieth century organic styleï¿½. This bespoke home features recycled timber from the wool stores and wharves of Darling Harbour and a front door from St Augustineï¿½s convent in Balmain. The use of warm timbers and exposed brick provide contrasting textures on the interior and the plethora of windows and glass used throughout enable the light to flow to every room.
Flowing across three levels, the home has a connective energy suited to a creative family, largely due to the main and upper levels being open to each other. The upper level has three bedrooms, a bathroom, music room or second living room and a mezzanine study that looks over the living space below. The main level includes the master bedroom with ensuite and private patio, kitchen, dining space and a living room that opens onto a huge wraparound deck. A large ground level office has itï¿½s own bathroom and private entrance and could be converted into a flat.
Designed to fit into the environment, the home steps down the hill taking advantage of cooling summer breezes and the amazing views. A curved colourbond roof and deep eaves provide shade from the summer sun whilst allowing winter sun to flood the upper level. The surrounding gardens are mostly native and provide privacy from the adjoining reserve.
- Award winning home designed and built by architects Shane Blue and Rachel Bourne
- Recycled timber from the wool stores & wharves of Darling Harbour
- Front door from St Augustine's convent in Balmain
- Panoramic views from every room
- Large wrap-around deck
- Two reverse cycle air conditioners, three gas heaters and one wood fireplace
- Main bedroom with walk-in robe and ensuite with private patio
- Office with full bathroom and private entrance
- Large concealed storage room or wine cellar
- Automated Acorn stair lifts, indoor and outdoor
Living space: 329?
Block size: 1326?
Carport size: Double, 42 ?
- 1993 ACT Housing Industry Association Award for Best Use of Timber
- 1994 ACT Master Builders Association Winner Contract Homes (Open)
- 1995 Architecture Show Magazine - The Architect received a Commendation Young Home Designer Of the Year Awards
- 1996 Australian Institute of Architects ACT Canberra Medallion " House at Fadden Hills" Shane Blue & Rachael Bourne Architects
- "Canberra Architecture" first published 2003 by The Watermark Press Sydney
- Entry 101 "Blue House" 10 Decker Place Fadden. Part of the South Canberra Section.
- "100 Canberra Houses: a century of capital architecture" published in 2013 by Halstead Press. This was a Centenary of Canberra Project sponsored by the ACT Government.
Rates: $3,338 p.a.
Land tax: $5,191 p.a.
Land value: $506,000